Sarabjit Singh butchered in Pakistan

May 02, 2013 10:28 | Poltics

After hearing the death of Sarabjit Singh Protest breaks out in Sarabjit's native village of Bhikhiwind after news of his death.

Police is watiching the situation and so far things are under control.

Indian government is putting all the efforts to bring back his body back home and as per the home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde the last rites will be performed as per the family decision.


On a death row the Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh was lodged in the Kot Lakhpat jail in Lahore,he was comatose in a Lahore hospital after a brutal assault by four to five prisoners on April 26, and succumbed to injuries on Thursday night at 1 PM(IST) in Lahore’s Jinnah Hospital, reported Geo News.

The head of the medical panel of the hospital was quoted as saying that Sarabjit succumbed to injuries at 12.45 a.m. (Pakistan time) or (1.15 a.m. Indian standard time)

Sarabjit’s lawyer Awais Shiekh told an Indian news channel that Sarabjit’s death was confirmed by hospital authorities.

Sarabjit had suffered serious head injuries after being attacked by two prisoners at Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail April 26. He was on ventilator support since then.

“It is very sad. We are sorry that we could not save him. I had tried to stop his family from going back to India (Wednesday) since his condition was very bad but they went bac”,” Shiekh told the channel.

The post-mortem will be conducted Thursday morning, he said.

On Wednesday night, the Indian external affairs ministry said that his condition was “serious and critical”.

A late night tweet posted by Indian external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said: “Sarabjit Singh’s medical situation remains ‘serious and critical’ as per update provided to Indian officials in Lahore at 10 pm local time.”

Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan Sharat Sabharwal met Pakistan Foreign Secretary Jalil Abbas Jilani as India Wednesday asked Pakistan to release him on “humanitarian and sympathetic grounds” or to send him to a third country for “proper treatment”.

Earlier Wednesday, Pakistan acceded to Indian request for daily consular access to Sarabjit Singh, 49, who had suffered critical head injuries after unprovoked and sudden assault by four to five prisoners April 26 in the Kot Lakhpat jail.

He had been on ventilator life support since. Doctors had reportedly indicated that he was “clinically dead”.

Punjab government on Thursday announced that both daughters of Sarabjit Singh would be given government jobs.